Wednesday, February 13, 2013

No, this is why I like Trader Joe's

It was something I noticed in my last shopping trip to Trader Joe's that made me stand up and take notice. It wasn't the food on display, or the kid crying in the frozen food aisle (even though he was my own).

It was how many older people employed at my store. If I had to guess, I'd say that about half of the employees are over the age of 40 - and perhaps about 25 percent are over the age of 50. I don't know their lifestories, and I don't know if this is something they've done for years, or if they've decided their retirement isn't fulfilling (both in terms of money and on a personal level), so they want a job. Maybe they just do it to get out of the house and be with people; I really don't know, and that's not the point, I guess.

Seeing a store that has older employees has made me really, really happy. As my own parents are never-you-mind how old, I have been looking and examining companies with a critical eye. It's noticeable to me when a company appears to have an age-cap with regard to how old their employees "should" be. You see some young 20-somethings strutting around a store, and it is the rule, not the exception, at many companies. But instead, I find myself thinking: Would this company hire my parents after they retire? Would that company even bother looking at the resume of someone who is in their so-called golden years?

To put it simply, I like when I see a company that hires those who maybe have been turned down for jobs because of their age.

3 comments:

  1. maybe you should review the Belgian chocolate pudding? I always see it and I am crazy for chocolate but I read the so-called nutrition info once and it has 9 million calories and 90,000g of fat in it (I am exaggerating) but I think if I ever bought it and tasted it, I would be willing to not eat anything else again except lettuce and a piece of tuna for several days to balance it out... or maybe it isn't THAT good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our store in NJ seems to be the opposite. Their employees are mostly in to 20-30 year old range, but they are very different from the normal grocery store employee. They're AWESOME.

    theweekendersnj.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete