Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Review: Trader Joe's Party Size Mini Meatballs

Oh, Trader Joe's! You and your lack of hyphens!



Allow me to make two confessions:

1. I am spoiled by my husband's meatballs (NOT a euphemism). He makes the best meatballs from scratch, and I love them because he always does something a bit different in every batch: More garlic in one, or more basil in another. I know, I'm spoiled.

2. When it comes to cocktail meatballs, I lose my darn mind and will likely eat more than I should at a party where these are served. I think it's because these are smaller than traditional meatballs, so it's easier to say "Oh, I'll just have one more. They're so tiny, after all!" And before I know it, I've got dip all over my hands and mouth and I don't want to see another meatball for about six months. Or something like that. Anyone else experience that?

*Cue the awkward silence*

But let's get to it. These mini meatballs are awesome for appetizers and can be dipped in the traditional cocktail meatballs recipe or dipped in something a bit more interesting (more on that tomorrow). Or heck, reheat (they're already fully-cooked) and serve with pasta and sauce for a quick not-at-all-homemade dinner.

 I have a (meat)ball in my hand. Hehehe.

What I really like is that I can pop them in the microwave and they cook evenly. I do stop about halfway through the cooking process and turn them over. Now, the downside is that the plate gets a bit greasy, so if you're serving this at a party, do transfer them over to a fresh, clean plate, if only for aesthetics.

The downside is that while they're good, the meatballs aren't terribly flavorful. I like to taste different herbs and spices in my meatballs, and these don't really have any strong taste. Which I guess is good if you'll just dip them in something, anyway.

Verdict: 3 out of 4 Hawaiian-print shirts.

No comments:

Post a Comment