Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Review: Trader Joe's Non-Sorbate Pitted Prunes

Let's get this out of the way: For THE longest time, I totally thought that prunes sort of looked like umbilical stumps (at least I haven't kept my kids', unlike some people). Sorry?

It took a while to eat prunes after making that connection, but whatever. I get called an old lady a lot in my house because hey, I like prunes. Interestingly, I think some prune companies are trying to candy-fy prunes and make them a fun snack by doing something completely insane and selling individually wrapped prunes. Yes, this is a "thing," and never mind how much waste is generated. Besides, who will really have a need to keep individually-wrapped prunes in a purse or pocket? Madness, I tell you.



I was excited - ok, that might be a strong word, so let's try this again. I was intrigued enough with Trader Joe's dried fruits selection to check out the pitted prunes. And they taste fine. They taste like prunes, which, if you've never had them, have a deep, rich flavor. They're dried plums, after all, and you can still get that plummy, sweet taste from these prunes. (I will not embarrass myself by admitting how old I was when I found out that prunes = dried plums.) (Also, I've had to rewrite "plumes" as "plums," like I spend my day talking about birds or something.)

 
The best part about prunes is that you don't just have to eat them as a snack. I've used a few cut up in smoothies for a bit of a chewy texture, and you can also cook it with chicken (Note to self: MAKE THIS).

What I especially like about the prunes from Trader Joe's is how they still keep their shape. I've gotten prunes from other brands, and they're all smashed in the canister, like someone sat on them. These prunes, however, are still prune-shaped and just look more appealing. The downside? It's super-easy to lose track of how many you've had.

Verdict: 4 out of 4 Hawaiian-print shirts.

1 comment: